Wednesday, August 29, 2007

YUCK nite

Yuck nite was a success. Mystery Girl was initiated into the youth group at church tonight and she got creamed and smeared and yucked all over. At the end of the evening, the fire department came out and sprayed everyone off with a fire hose. The kids just loved it. Calico Kid really wanted to participate but he was real good about letting his sister have a good time without complaining. He knows that his turn is coming in a couple of years. It is a sort of rite of passage, so to speak, between big kid and tweeny bopper. While his sister was busy, we stole away for a little bit and went to Starbucks. Mystery Girl was really nervous and I knew that she would hang around me instead of getting to know the other kids if I stayed, so we left and came back after things got started. She had a really good time, even tho it took about 2 hours after we got home for her to start remembering that it was fun. She is very negative about everything, so I kinda gotta wait for the negative to wear off, then she remembers all the fun stuff and starts talking about it. I hope this is the start of something good for her. She definitely needs to make some friends her own age and have older kids to look up to. Other than that, not much is happening. I'm trying to get the house cleaned up and out some more before my dad comes. I hate to be embarrassed by the condition of the house. We have some really old appliances and a horrid sink that I keep having to bleach out. Dr. O trimmed the bushes today so they will look nice and I'm still canning stuff from the garden. Our neighbor brought us a whole bunch of green beans that I have to work on and she said that she will bring some more this week.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Sometimes you have to push those little birdies out of the nest. I find myself doing that a lot with Amber lately -- a little separation anxiety is going on there!

Hopefully youth group will become a place of refuge for her as she gets older and experiences all that fun teenage angst. Even though Amber is still in Children's Church, I think it has become a place of comfort for her.

Anonymous said...

I don't care what anyone says about initiation. It is fun if you are expecting it and go into it with the right kind of attitude. Also, if you take it well, the people doing the initiation see how cool you really can be. Kudos to Mystery Girl for enduring it.

Sheila_T said...

Yea Mystery Girl. Congratulations to you for entering the youth group. I'm sure you're going to love it.

Yea for Calico Kid, you got to spend time wtih mom. That's worth a million gazillion buckeroos.

Aunti Sheila_T