Friday, August 31, 2007

What's up with that?

Is it just me, or is there a spirit of disobedience around here? We say, "Stay out or the shed..barn...garage" so why is there someone in the barn? We say, stay off the tractors...trucks...etc. So, why? I realize that all of these things are attractive to kids, but, for heaven sakes, what's up with disobedience? Outright, flat out disobedience. So, we have little Bible Studies on this topic. We look stuff up in the Bible, we discuss it, we pray about it, then start it all over again. Tiresome. The things is, to be a grown up Christian, it requires discipline. Not just punishment, but actually working to improve attitudes and to "put away the old man and put on the new man". And we have these discussions and Bible Studies about a whole bunch of topics. Frequently. My advice is....if your kids are small, start right away... It will make it easier for you later. I started way late because of a lot of reasons, none of them very good, but in any case, I did and now, life gets difficult when it comes to morals and ethics. Of course, individual personalities also contrubute to obedience and defiance. Thank God I have Dr. O to help me and of course God's Word. So, of course, that brings me to adults. In kids it is more evident, but in adults, it is more deadly. We adults are the master of excuses. We excuse bad behavior and disobey God, then wonder why we are being punished. Well, it's all there in the Book. So, if I want my kids to put off the old man and put on the new man, then I guess it is up to me to be the example. Darn. That's the hard part. And if we don't be the right kind of example, are we condemning our kids to a deadly life? Okay then, how badly do I want them to behave and to have good ethics? I guess bad enough that I need to make changes to my own self first. Ouch, that hurts.

No comments: