Monday, October 8, 2007

That's What I Get For Taking ME Time

Today, I thought that I'd take some ME time before engaging in a battle of the wills with my Mystery Girl. I had a couple of buckets to return to my wonderful neighbor who has loaded us up on tomatoes and other garden stuff. So, I drove over to her home and this wonderful lady invited me in to chat for a few minutes! It felt sooo nice to talk to a lady! Pretty soon she asks if we like cabbage. Well, Dr. O does and I like cabbage rolls and a few dished with cabbage, so I say yes. She opened her fridge and pulled out a cabbage that was larger than a basketball. I mean, I have NEVER seen a cabbage this big. My mouth fell open and my heart sank. What am I going to do with that much cabbage? But since I already said yes.....I think I'm going ot have to learn to like (tolerate?) coleslaw. WhoooBoy! It's a good thing she gave me a "really good recipe." Then she starts pulling out broccoli and putting it in a gallon size baggie. I thought, wow! I better go before I clean out her whole garden for her! Next thing I know, she wants to know if I need some jars. Surely I didn't buy them all this year. Nope, just 7 dozen quart and 5 dozen pint. Well, do I need some more? Or do I have a bunch left? Nope. They're all full. Great! Here's 2 dozen more quarts and 2 dozen more pints. Just gotta buy lids. Oh, and if you need more, just let me know, we have hundreds of them! Oh, wonderful! I'm so excited and giddy that I'm ready to cry. To top it all off, she also sent me another bucket of tomatoes! By now, my poor hubby is probably wondering why I can't just drive 1.5 miles down the road and back. One hour later I arrived home laughing and crying and wondering if I'm okay or if the kindness of friends is getting to me. I must be pretty needful of friends right now. This neighbor has been such a blessing! Folks, I got home at 10 am! My whole day was a flying breeze after that. I even cooked dinner and baked not 1 but 2 apple pies to finish off the apples that everyone and their friends have given us. Now I just need a fresh batch! Now, what am I going to do with all that cabbage......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... give the stuffed animals a change in diet? :) Kidding!
Spring rolls, add it in soups, lots of uses for it besides cole slaw!

Rick said...

That must have been some salad that you had that night - got to your blog from Dawn's. Thanks for the nice comment about the illustration I did for her. My latest post deals with tomatoes - you might enjoy it.

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/