Friday, December 7, 2007

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas! There is a coating of white stuff outside on everything. The tree is up. The homemade gifts are made. Gifts are arriving in the mail. Christmas music is playing. And tomorrow, we are doing Christmas baking. I think we will be doing some rosettes, cookies, and maybe a couple of bars. I'm still planning that part. Now, that I've got the gifts made, I need to clean up all the sewing stuff so that the house can look clean again! I can even take down the shower curtain that I put up in the breakfast nook to hide behind while I did the sewing. (Kids never stay in bed so I can't sew at night). Sat. night it will be time to wrap the gifts and get them hidden. I used to put them under the tree right away, but the kids were too snoopy, so now I hide them until Christmas Eve for Christmas morning. It's a lot more of a surprise that way! This year, we are going to do things a little differently. We usually do gifts, then breakfast. But I think we are going to do breakfast, then each of us will share something special with the family, a poem, story, or play, then read the Christmas story before we open the gifts. Who says that Christmas has to be over so fast?! It's going to last quite a while this year. In years past, we spent at least one day with my family during Christmas. Ususally, Christmas Eve, and we would exchange family gifts and have a special fondue dinner. It was always fun! Then we would each have our own Christmas on Christmas Day. Last year, we moved away and Christmas was on our own. It was fun, but I felt a little lost. This year, I've had a hard time catching the mood and purpose of Christmas. It is time to begin new traditions, even if it is a little at a time. I think the key is to begin preparing for Christmas way ahead of time. For instance, if I am going to make gifts, I need to start months in advance so that I can get them all done in time and do a good job. So, now I have plans for next year, but that doesn't help me for this year! Well, at least I'm getting the hang of it! Happy Holidays!

No comments: