Friday, April 18, 2008

IEPs and Partytime

Today I went to an IEP meeting at Calico Kid's school. I was told that he has really progressed this year. Nothing that I didn't already know, but, they had to schedule a meeting to tell me that! His math and reading skills are coming along and maybe soon, we can get him up to grade level. You know, they don't hold kids back anymore, they just put them in special ed. But they are limiting his services a little more next year. That must mean that he's almost up to average 4th grader. One thing that they kept mentioning was how distractable he is and have we considered having him tested for ADD. Yup, I know, and NO we are not going there. I guess, having a very bad experience with the meds and school/dr. thing, we decided that distractable or not, he can finish school just like everyother kid not on meds. It probably would help him some, but I'm not convinced that every distractable kids is ADD. He does great one on one and can usually be redirected, but of course, teachers and helpers have too many kids who are "normal" (distractable) that they need meds for classroom management. Can't blame them really. Especially since they are not allowed to discipline kids anymore. Anyhow, I don't think he is severe enough to warrant much concern. Other than that, "He's a great kid. He's so full of life and interests." Good! I'm glad you like my kid! Tonight, I am going to be away at a Friendship Supper. I'm really looking forward to it. I was told last night that I actually have to get up in front of people (draw names for door prizes) and be a greeter. I guess that's okay! It WAS my idea to have this thing anyway! We were hoping for 50, and got 102 signed up. Wow! I guess I'm not the only one looking forward to getting away from kids and being around some adults! It sounds like it's been a long time since they had anything like this, so I'm excited to see how it turns out. I'll probably post tomorrow about how it went. Tomorrow, I'll also have some pictures, from Mystery Girl's B-day. Yup, she's twelve now. Ufda. I'm starting to feel a little old. On the other hand, with age, comes freedom, unless you get enough age to become less free again. I probably won't make it that long! Just as long as my mother stays twenty years older than I am, I'll always be younger than her! Don't croak anytime soon Mom, I don't want to start getting older yet!

No comments: