Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I have my own country

I just googled my name to see what I would get. It seems that I have my own country, I make my own laws, have my own airport, have something to do with medical research, and of course my own blog. I didn't think I was that active in this world! I thought I was mom and wife, daughter and sister, church goer and neighbor! Oh, well!

Three more days of school for MG. I am quite excited! MG is too! Then I can get started on scheduling next years work. It looks like a HUGE amount, but I have to make it manageable. I also have to add in keyboarding and MS Word. She will get her book reports done this summer so that they won't take up time during the school year. I have already purchased a few 'summer reading' books. I had to set them aside so she will wait to read them. This child devours books like they are going out of style and she might miss one! I'm pretty sure they outrank the beanie baby craze!

Six more day of school for CK. He's getting quite excited too! And guess what! He finished reading the abridged version of The Adventures of Hucklebery Finn! Now he has decided to read some Magic Treehouse books. He just suddenly decided that he likes to read! I love it when a plan comes together! It might have something to do with the fact that we have removed the TV from the living area of the house, or that everyone else is reading all evening, or that it is still too cold to play outside much in the evenings. Or it might be that I read him part of a book and then refused to read the rest of it! He just HAD ti find out the rest of the story! Either way, I am well pleased! I'm quite sure his reading level will improve dramatically over the summer and will need much less help in school understanding his assignments! I have been waiting for this for years! Ok at least 2-3 years! He alread likes to write and draw, so now he will be better rounded. His spelling will improve too. Math? It's coming. I still have to work with him quite a bit to get him to pass his timed tests, but once he understands what he is supposed to do and how, he does much better. I think 5th grade is going to go much better.

I have decided that I need to load up the bookshelves with classics that have adventure and mystery in them. Both kids love to read or listen to dramatic stories such as Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Robin Hood, Swiss Family Robinson, as well as missionary stories. I am having MG read Cross and the Switchblade, Run, Baby Run, White Fang, The Call of the Wild, and Wizard of Oz this summer. She is also going to read her two book report books (I can't think of their titles) this summer. I'm going to have CK read The Adventures of Robin Hood, and a bunch of his Magic Treehouse books. I don't particularly like Magic Treehouse, but it is a good place for a beginning reader to start. They are really quite shallow I think, but they are at his reading level and I'm sure he will soon tire of them and want to move on to something much more exciting. Maybe I can get him to read the abridged Moby Dick. He likes sharks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear about the reading progress. Summer is going to be a nice break for all of you. Enjoy it! I'm trying to get a time to come and see you. Free flights are not working out (can't do a weekend) and boughten flights are very, very expensive right now. I'll keep checking and let you know what I come up with. - Mom