Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Will Wonders Never Cease?

I had a huge surprise today! My sil from Newfoundland called today. First of all, my sil NEVER calls us (the time zone factor you know), and second of all, she had shocking news for me. What was it? Well, hold your horses, I'm getting to that! What? Oh, well, just that I was published again. Huh?! Well....REALLY?!!!!!! Yup, that's right, I got another story published. I was so surprised! I sent the story in like, I don't know, MONTHS ago, then forgot that I sent it! Then today, I find out that it's been published! So, it's my "Do Nothing Day" story about the kids who didn't want to do ANYTHING. They just wanted to do NOTHING. So, that's what they did for 6 hours. Anyway, it's in the Good Tidings and "Official Publication of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Newfoundland and Labrador". So, I guess that makes me an international writer? I'm only being published in CANADA! How funny!

So, what else is new? Let's see. I now have a new perfume. I smell of tomatoes permanently, I think. While we all like to eat tomatoes and we like to drink tomato juice and put tomatoes on our pizzas, the smell has become overpowering! I just spent two days peeling, coring, smashing, boiling, and canning tomatoes. And for ALL THAT WORK, I got 9 quarts of sauce. I have been told that the way to a man's heart is through his stomache, but what about the SMELL of food? I'm sure it didn't work for me! In fact, I'm sure that if I were to choose something to smell like that would attract my husband, it would NOT be tomatoes, but rather woodsmoke! Yup, If I hung all my clean laundry over the firepit while cooking hotdogs, I'd probably have to run away! I get the most compliments when I STINK like burnt hotdogs! Eww.

Does anyone else do dumb things like clean house in the middle of the night? It has been crazy around here with Dr. O working 3rd shift and sleeping all day. So, when are you supposed to vaccum? How about change the sheets? Clean your bedroom closet? ARGGG! So, he finally went to work at 9 pm, the kids went to bed, and I sat down to relax for a while before going to bed. Then, I went upstairs to go to bed and opened the door, and stared about me in despair. I was knee deep in clean laundry EVERYWHERE, the contents of the closet spilling out of the door, hangers hanging askew, the blankets and sheets trailing on the floor. So, like any crazy woman would do at midnight, I started cleaning. I put all the laundry away, changed the sheets and made the bed, repacked my closet, rehung all the clothes, sorted out summer/winter clothes, and crawled into bed at 2:30 AM. If that wasn't bad enough, the alarm rang at 6:30 to get up and get the kids ready for school. Then in walks, I mean drags in the hubby. He makes the coffee, talked to the kids, tried to tell me about his night at work, then headed off to bed. Me? I just sat there sucking down the coffee, staring glassy eyed at the wall, nursing the headache of all headaches, and wondered if I would make it through the day. As you can see, I did. But tonight, I'm going to bed. I'll close my eyes to the mess in the bathroom. I'll walk past the living room strewn with blankets and pillows, and books and pencils. I'll not glance at all the garden magazines that came in the mail today. I'll pretend that I've graded all the assignments and that all the work got done. I'll deal with all that stuff tomorrow, AFTER I SLEEP. Although, I still haven't figured out when to vaccum, or how to do it quietly. Hmmmm....I'll think about that tomorrow.

No comments: